Selecting and retaining a reputable workers’ compensation lawyer is crucial to winning your case in court and/or attaining the highest possible lump sum settlement. Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Law is extremely specific, and you want the best workers’ compensation attorney to help you present your case in court. You don’t need to and should not just choose a lawyer out of the Yellow Pages. It will benefit you to do a little research to see that the lawyer you hire is reputable and specializes in workers’ compensation cases.
1. The best way to find a reputable lawyer is through word of mouth. Talk to anyone who has been in your situation and see who they used to represent them in court, and what their personal experience was like. Anyone who has had to file a workers compensation claim can tell you who is reputable and was responsive to their own unique needs. No two people are alike, thus no two cases are ever identical as to what needs to be done to protect the client’s interests.
2. Next, you will want to check out the Attorney’s disciplinary history with the Pennsylvania Bar Association, and whether they are certified as a specialist in the practice of workers’ compensation law by the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Section on Workers’ Compensation Law as authorized by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
3. Find out how long the lawyer has been practicing workers compensation law. You want a lawyer who has been in this business for more than a few years. Retaining a well-seasoned lawyer will give you the best chances in your particular case, as they will have both the experience and knowledge of the interworkings of the system, the Judges, and even opposing attorneys’ tactics.
4. Once you have narrowed down your choices, you will want to check out the law firm’s website. Most lawyers advertise online in today’s modern world, and their website can speak volumes about the individual lawyer. If the spelling is atrocious and the website is sloppy, then you know that the lawyer doesn’t pay attention to detail and that you need to keep looking. Also, does the lawyer show a personal compassionate side, or is it all cold hard business? We are all human, and while the expertise is a must, a bit of receptivity, caring, listening, and understanding is unmatched.
5. The last step in hiring a good workers comp lawyer is to contact the lawyer who you are considering. This will be the deciding factor, as you will experience how the lawyer interacts with you. You will want to meet face to face and ask questions during the initial interview to get to know the lawyer before making a final decision. If at any time during the consultation you feel uneasy, or just simply don’t like the lawyer, it’s best to end the interview and go back to your research. Trusting your lawyer is one of the most important considerations when retaining a firm; if you don’t feel that you can trust him or her, then it’s time to move on to another candidate.
Choosing the best lawyer to represent you in a workers’ compensation case can be a somewhat challenging experience; however, once you have found the right lawyer for you and your particular needs, it will make the litigation experience better. You deserve to be represented by someone who will care as much about you and your case as you do. One suggestion would be Paula Robinson Esq.